Thursday, 29 January 2015
Shoresh David Sisterhood Update
The Sisterhood of Shoresh David (Munroeville, PA) presently meets once a month following our Shabbat Service. We just started a book by Lisa Bevere, Girls With Swords: How to Carry your Cross Like a Hero. The book empowers women by sharpening their use of some of the invisible and invincible weaponry that God has entrusted to them as believers.
Women are a particular target for discrimination and various forms of cruelty - sex trafficking, pornography, etc. Bevere takes the offensive and asks, "Now that you have been targeted, what's your target?" She uses the art of fencing as a guide to wielding the sword of the Word in battling the enemy (the kingdom of darkness).
Some of the themes include:
- How to live by the power of the sword
- The mystery and meaning of the cross (a sword is shaped like a cross pointing into the ground). The power of the sword is the power of the cross expressed in Galatians 2:20 - Messiah's live lived through us
- Strategies that will disarm the enemy
- Fencing in the company of others
- What we must fight for
- How to wield the swords of harvest, silence, and song
- How to walk in discernment, forgiveness, and restoration.
Nathan and Susan Puro,